Wednesday, January 26, 2011

An Apple A Day Keeps the Frustration Away

Hey all,

As some of you know, I got a new computer this Christmas.  (shhh...don't tell LUCAS, my old computer)  It's a MacPro, which is a first for me.  Up until now I've been a PC laptop gal.  But my darling LUCAS was getting a little slow, and we decided to try a Mac since we'd heard so many good things about it.

So far we've liked the new computer (who I'm still waiting to find out his name).  Very easy to operate and though I can't use all my programs in it--I still have LUCAS working part-time--it is a gazillion times faster than my PC.  And while I know PCs can be fast, that difference between the two was what I noticed first.

And we can use it to watch all those US TV programs online that we miss, like Bones, Criminal Minds, CSI, Eurka and others.  And after a steady diet of old Discovery, History and Biography, a few crime dramas, comedies and other fun is just what we've been needing.

But over and above, having a computer that works without all the crashes, glitches and other problems of my PC is such a relief. 

The hardest part though, is switching from one operating system to another.  In many ways they are polar opposites of each other.  I mean, if the exit button is on the right on a PC, it's on the left in a Mac.  Scrolling in word is done differently.  And those are just a couple of examples.

It's really irritating that I can't find anything.  I mean, I know it's just because it's a different system, but what takes me seconds to find in LUCAS can take an hour in the new machine.  And the biggest problem is I don't have the time to just sit and work with it--too much other stuff to do--so I just pick through it the best I can.

Just why is it, that those who work with electronics can't pick one way and stick to it.  One of my major pet peeves is going to a grocery store and when I'm trying to use the ATM debit card, I can't figure out how because EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IS DIFFERENT!!!!!
Why?

Because some designer somewhere had the need to be unique and special?

Come on.

I was really irritated with Apple until I was told their system was first and the PC model came afterwards.  So now I'm really cranky with them.  LOL

I know this post is just a ramble, but sometimes my thoughts go that way.  But for those who are wondering if an Apple is worth it, I'd have to give it a big YES.  It is easier to work with and other than a bad file that came from LUCAS, I haven't had any crashes or glitches.

I won't give up LUCAS.  My photoshop, website design program and a couple of other important things are on him that I can't do on the new one.  So I won't be completely PC free.  So I'll have the best of both worlds, with all the information at my fingertips.

So does that mean I do menages after all?  LOL

I'll be back on Friday with another guest blogger.  Taige Crenshaw will share a little about her life and loves.

Hugs,

CJ England










http://cjengland.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CJsaysFollowYourDreams/

4 comments:

Phylis said...

After getting my computer back and dreading the thought of having to get a new one in case this was one was history, I understand. I would love to get a lap top but someday but they scare me because I've never used one. I would miss the familiarity of this one. Still going to get an ebook, I just don't know which one. I need one that will let me download straight to it because I don't have enough space on this one. But I need one that lets me get your books! To much technology. As for the credit card machines, I agree but it's the cost of "free trade", I guess. We were looking at all the products we've been putting out for spring and saying we have waaaay to many choices. Oh well. Better this way then the lack of choices. As for ramblinig...I think I just did the same thing. lol

Jude Mason said...

Hi CJ,

You know, every time it's my turn to get a new computer, I wonder if I should try an Apple instead of a PC. The only time I've tried them though is at the store. No one I know has an Apple.

You mentioned that your website builder is on your PC and can't be used on the Apple. That's a big concern of mine too. I use Frontpage and even now I know it's a program that's not being upgraded or updated. Eeek!

I might have to pick your brains in the future. I'm good for some time yet, but man, the thought of changing terrifies me...but it might be a better way to go... ugh!

Yeah, I'd be the confused one. LOL

Great post!

Hugs

CJ England said...

Phylis,

I didn't have a problem going from desktop to laptop. The keyboards are very similar. And the mouse--which I hated already and they hate me--I didn't cry over losing.

Going from PC programming to Apple was and is difficult.

CJ England said...

Jude,

Yeah. I use FP too, but since it's obsolete, I'll have to learn something else eventually. I've heard dreamweaver is good, but right now I just don't have the time to learn anything like that.